What is an ignition interlock?
An ignition interlock device is a hand-held breath-alcohol analyzer that connects to the ignition system of a vehicle. Before starting the car, the driver must complete a breath test verifying his or her Breath Alcohol Concentration to be below a preset limit. If the BAC test is at or above the pre-set limit the car will not start. There are safeguards built-into the device to prevent or detect unauthorized use or circumvention of the device. Most courts are now requiring the use of the device on any criminal conviction and on deferred prosecutions.
If a person is convicted of a violation of RCW 46.61.502 or 46.61.504 or an equivalent local ordinance, the court shall order that after a period of suspension, revocation, or denial of driving privileges, the person may drive only a motor vehicle equipped with a functioning ignition interlock or other biological or technical device.
The period of time of the restriction will be as follows:
- One year if no prior IID
- Five years if one prior IID
- Not less than ten years with two prior IID requirements
Ignition interlock agencies include:
- Northwest Interlock Inc. - 1-800-491-5665
- AutoSafe - 1-800-977-0091
- AutoSense of Washington - 1-877-256-9246
- Alcohol Sens-O-Lock - 1-888-854-1922
- Intoxalock Device - 1-877-777-5020
Ignition Interlock Systems, Inc - 1-800-328-9890
- How do I pick a good DUI defense lawyer?
- What can a good DUI defense lawyer do for me?
- What do police officers look for when searching for drunk drivers on the highways?
- Do I have a right to a lawyer when I'm stopped by an officer and asked to take a field sobriety test?
- What is the officer looking for during the initial detention at the scene?
- Should I agree to take a breath test?
- Do I have a choice of chemical tests?
- The officer never gave me a Miranda warning: Can I get my case dismissed?
- What is the criminal punishment if I am convicted of DUI?
- What is a sentence "enhancement"?
- What is a deferred prosecution?
- What is an ignition interlock?
- What are the licensing consequences if I take the BAC test or refuse the test?
- Do I have the right to an Administrative Hearing before my license is suspended?
- Can I get a temporary license if I’m suspended?
- Blood Alchohol Concentration Chart (FEMALE)
- Blood Alchohol Concentration Chart (MALE)
- How drinking impairs driving