Can I get a temporary license if I’m suspended?

Yes, for the following purposes:

  • Driving to and from work
  • Continuing healthcare
  • Education, community service
  • Continuing care of another person who is dependent on you
  • WorkFirst
  • Apprenticeship
  • On-the-job training
  • Substance abuse treatment or 12-step meetings if no transit service is available

The waiting period is as follows:

  • 30 days on a 1st conviction
  • 90 days on a 1st refusal of a breath test
  • One year on 2nd or subsequent conviction or refusal within 7 years

To apply for a Occupatinal Restiricted License (ORL) you must:

1. File a Certificate of Insurance (SR-22) issued by the home office of a company authorized to do business in the State of Washington.

2. Have an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle and provide proof of installation to the Department of Licensing.

3. Have the completed application signed by an appropriate representative who can verify your purpose for driving. Attach separate applications for each driving purpose. Take your completed form(s) and a $100 non-refundable fee to any driver licensing office or mail them to: Department of Licensing, Driver Services Occupational License Desk, PO Box 9048, Olympia, WA 98507-9048 360 902-3900.