Elements of Personal Injury Cases
There are two elements in every personal injury case: liability and damages. The first element involves demonstrating that the person or entity being charged did in fact bear legal responsibility for the injury. Damages refers to the compensation to be awarded by the court or settlement to compensate the injured individual. The categories of damages include:
- General Damages which are intended to provide compensation from pain and suffering, loss of amenities of life, loss of enjoyment.
- Special Damages which cover out of pocket expenses incurred by you until the time of trial including the cost of medical and rehabilitative care.
- Damages for Past Loss of Income including lost wages, earning or profits as well as lost opportunities to earn income.
- Damage for Future Loss of Income, which cover your prospective loss of income or lost earning capacity.
- Damages for Future Cost of Care, which could include special transportation needs, drug costs, uninsured health-care services, rehabilitation expenses, homemaking and home-maintenance services.
When you are injured in an automobile or other accident, you need an experienced trial lawyer to handle your case. My goal is to provide high quality legal services, to resolve claims in a fair manner, and to do so as rapidly as legal requirements and responsible case preparation will permit. I recognize that this is an important matter to you and will use my best efforts to accomplish your goals. My role as your lawyer is to assist you in obtaining payment for your past, current and future medical expenses and pain & suffering. I can also make recommendations concerning your treatment, including referrals to physical therapy, chiropractic or other medical specialists. When your treatment has concluded or your condition has stabilized, it will be my role to negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement from the drivers that caused your injuries.